Updated as it unfolds…
6:41 pm – While it is true that the winner of this game will get the Lamar Hunt trophy I don’t think that it is correct to say that the Jets or Steelers are playing for that trophy. Thanks for coming out Jim Nantz.
6:45 pm – Good news for Steelers fans if they call the game tight in the secondary. Cromartie and Revis are huggers, just like Lots o’ Huggin Bear.
6:49 pm – Sanchez is going to have to bring his A game to compete with Big Ben. There is no better QB at keeping a play alive in the NFL today. Great option on a broken play by Roethlisberger.
6:52 pm – The throw to Heath Miller was an example of where the Jets miss Jim Leonhard. That kills me, former Bill that they just let go. * It was incomplete upon review, but coverage like that will kill the Jets.
6:56 pm – Phil Simms just dropped some major knowledge: he was not anywhere near the runner that Big Ben is. Thanks Phil, where would be without you?
6:58 pm – Big Ben shows just how much better he is at running the ball than Phil ever was. What a clutch 3rd down run. Amazing.
6:59 pm- Hines Ward may be cheap, but he is pretty good as well. Am I right Jets DBs?
7:03 pm – Classic Steelers drive, 9 minutes plus. They punched the Jets in the mouth. Can the Jets respond? Pouncey’s status for the rest of the game is key. He has been a monster in the middle of that O-line.
7:05 pm – Pouncey to the meat wagon, not a good sign for the Pittsburgh faithful.
7:08pm – Sam Adams Revolutionary Rye is poured into the official Sam Adams Boston Lager glass. First sip, great beer. I wish it were not only available in the American Originals Variety Pack.
7:09 pm – Huge 3rd down pass from Sanchez. A reason for Jets fans to hope.
7:12 pm – They are calling it tight in the secondary, good PI call on Ike Taylor.
7:20 pm – Rashard Mendenhall just pounded Eric Smith to finish off a long catch and run. That about says it all when you look at the 1st quarter of this tilt. The Steelers are pounding the Jets; I love it.
7:35 pm – Just finished the Revolutionary Rye, it reminds me of a red Noble Pils. I think I will have one of those. Thank you American Originals Variety Pack.
7:37 pm – $46 million over 4 years means Revis should make that pick on the Big Ben under throw. Because he whiffed it gave Mendenhall to break off a 35 yard run.
7:57 pm – Say what you want about Ben Roethlisberger’s off the field antics, I know I did; he is incredible. His movement in the pocket, which led to a huge pass to Heath Miller and scrambling ability, which finished off the drive that made it 17-0 are unmatched by any QB in the league right now. The Steelers are pounding the Jets and I love it.
8:03 pm – Mark Sanchez, you just got Smokyed: “You got knocked the F*ck out”.
8:07 pm – Bring on the Vortex technology!
8:25 pm – Rex better have one hell of a speech ready to motivate his guys. This is not the Colts or Pats D, this is the 21st century Steel Curtain.
8:28 pm – I loved seeing the sad panda face on Fireman Ed on the one cutaway shot. J-E-T-S, suck, suck, suck.
8:40 pm – An unfortunate stumble by Ike Taylor and great read by Santonio Holmes who like Big Ben makes questionable off the field decisions but is one hell of a clutch football player.
8:58 pm – I totally agree with Phil Simms ( which scares me), Roethlisberger is playing great. Stats be damned, the guy just makes plays.
9:24 pm – I was impressed with Sanchez the last drive but why did they not try to pound the rock to get that in the end zone on 3rd down as well as 4th? Bad mistake.
9:25 pm – What a horrible time for a bad snap. If the Steelers do advance will Pouncey be able to play? If not they could be in trouble as B.J. Raji of the Packers is better than anyone the Jets line up.
9:34 pm- Why are the Steelers playing such soft coverage? It could cost them the game.
9:37 pm – Regardless of the outcome Sanchez has shown a lot.
9:49 pm – All Big Ben does is make huge plays…amazing throw to seal the game.
Post Game Thoughts:
- As much as I cannot stand the man Rex Ryan might be the best coach in the NFL at halftime adjustments and motivation. The second half was a flip of the first with a defensive TD by the Steelers against a safety by the Jets D being the difference. Top marks to Ben Roethlisberger for finding that ball on the botched snap and saving 5 points that they needed in the end.
- Troy Polamalu must really be hurt. He was invisible in this game. The Steelers will need him at 100% against the Packers if they want to win.
- Again top marks to Mark Sanchez. I pounded on the guy, but he showed up big in the second half.
- Full marks to Mike Tomlin. He came into a 3-4 attack scheme culture from a Cover 2 background. He adjusted to a tradition and he has been rewarded. There are a lot of coaches who let their ego and background get in the way. Coach Tomlin did not do that and he is going to his second Super Bowl in 5 years.
- Big Ben is amazing. I can’t say enough how impressed I am with the plays that he makes to win games. He is proof that stats other than win percentage are bullshit.