What an exciting series. But let’s not confuse exciting with great basketball. For all of the clutch shots and exciting plays it was often ugly out there.
- Bron-Bron, you exceeded my hopes and dreams. Yes I am waking up to the same reality I had before you coughed up another epic fail last night. But I never hated my life. It is not perfect, but whose is? I don’t find comfort in the luxuries that you live with. I find it in my family. So take your bitterness and blame (God, really?) to wherever you can afford to travel. You are sad shell of who I thought you could be. You lived up to your empty bravado of last summer. Congrats.
- I will miss my favorite game of the 2011 Finals. I called it: “Remember When”. Every time LBJ turned the ball over, missed an open shot it would open up, “Remember when Michael Jordan tossed up that air ball from the baseline, missed the rim and caused a shot clock violation?” Me Neither. The game was extensive, fun and yes filled with bitter rancor. I loved every minute of it.
- As shocking as LeBron’s lack of engagement and confidence in the last 3 games of the series was it was nothing compared to the class that Mark Cuban showed after the Mavs won. He was unbelievably gracious. Allowing the original owner to receive the trophy was an all time move. Who would have thought? Maybe the guy has just gotten a bad rap all these years? Maybe he finally grew up.
- Dirk: you are not soft or overrated. Here’s hoping you have more left in the tank as it seemed like I have missed a lot of greatness over the past few years.
- What can you say about Jason Terry in Game 6? The dude backed up his tat. Impressive, most impressive.
- Chris Bosh, I was wrong. You played like a beast in the Finals. Maybe someone else does not belong in the “Big Three”.
- Wade was clutch for 5 games, but when he needed his dancing partner from last summer to show up, he could not. I could see this ending up in an ugly divorce before these contracts lapse. Failing is one thing. Not even trying, well, I can’t see D-Wade putting up with that long term.
- Would it be a shock to see Tyson Chandler in a Golden State uniform this fall? Incoming Warriors coach Mark Jackson fawned over him while broadcasting the Finals. Rightfully so, he was amazing and he is just what the soft, small Golden State squad needs.
- 33-18, that was the free throw attempt differential in favor of Miami in Game 6. Sure they attacked the rim more, but when the Mavs went in the paint and drew contact it seemed that the whistles disappeared. When the Mavs breathed on anyone wearing white there was a call. Even Dirk got shafted in Game 6, while Mario Chalmers was getting superstar calls. Note to Commissioner Stern, if you are going to try and force a game 7, make it less obvious next time.
- Another LBJ stat: -24 in Game 6. “The Custodian” Brian Cardinal: +18 for the Mavs.
- If the NBA institutes a “hard cap” the Heat are in some big trouble. Forget the Big Three, Mike Miller has 5 years and 25 million left on his deal. 0 points in Game 6. That is not going to get it done.
Let’s hope the NBA learns from the NFL’s labor foibles. This was an exciting series, something to build on. Any break in the off-season, a lockout…well if they are silly enough to do that the NBA owners will get what they deserve, just like LeBron.